Sunday, January 15, 2006

I Will Always Love You

How are you planning to observe Dolly Parton's 60th birthday on Thursday? One way might be to sing Dolly's and my favorite Dolly Parton song, "Coat of Many Colors," while doing the dishes. It's a good one for doing the dishes, I find -- so sweet and touching that I even excuse the multiply grammar-impaired line, "But they didn’t understand it/And I tried to make them see/That one is only poor/Only if they choose to be." She's just mountain folk after all, our Dolly.

There's actually a nice, simple cover version of the song by, of all people, Shania Twain -- along with Alison Krauss and Union Station -- on the excellent and varied tribute CD that came out a couple of years ago, Just Because I'm a Woman: The Songs of Dolly Parton.

Happy birthday week, Dolly.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can also celebrate by going out and buying her new album "Those Were The Days" which is faboo ... A twangy country version of some great antiwar songs from the 60's ... DMP

3:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home