Friday, March 05, 2010

If It All Fell to Pieces Tomorrow, Would You Still Be Mine?

Last weekend, D. and I took a drive up to Adamstown, Pennsylvania -- Antiques Capital U.S.A., I'll have you know -- and as we were wandering through one antiques mall, "Take It to the Limit" came on over the sound system (antiques malls play '60s and '70s Top 40 more than any other genre of music), and I realized that that song evokes the 1970s -- not just the decade but my experience of the decade, whose latter half corresponded exactly with my adolescence -- more than any other song, period.

One of my sisters, my next-oldest sibling, loved the Eagles, so I heard a lot of them then. "Take It to the Limit," besides being a great radio sing-along when you're alone in the car, takes me back in an instant to the winter of 1976. (To confirm that my memory was placing it correctly, I Googled it just now, and indeed it was released as a single in November 1975.)

Nothing momentous happened. I was a high-school freshman in a Catholic boys' school. My sister and I were the only ones at home; our older brother and sister were away at college. It was a time of puffy down jackets, hair parted down the middle for guys, velour shirts. When you're 14, the shy youngest of four, you spend a lot of time observing your siblings, hearing about their dates, their friends, the concerts they went to (Jackson Browne, Little Feat), the movies they saw (Love and Death, Barry Lyndon), the parties, the summer jobs and the trips to the beach. Sometimes you fantasize about a time when you'll do all of those things -- see an R-rated film, have a girlfriend, get a down jacket or a velour shirt of your own.


You spend years learning about desire.

Next thing you know you're a fortysomething man wandering through an antiques mall in Amish country with your fiftysomething boyfriend -- surveying the Depression glass, the Stangl dishware, the back issues of Life magazine in plastic sleeves, the tchotchkes of way more generations than your own -- and a '70s pop song full of unabashed falsetto urgency comes on from somewhere unknown and fills you with an unaccountable longing, followed hard by a strange kind of pure satisfaction that where you are is just good enough.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

The music of the Carpenters and John Denver take me back to that era. In '75/'76 I fell deeply in love for the first time -- "unrequited," of course. In a couple days, the object of my affection from those days (now long estranged) will turn 50, so I've been thinking about that period in my life more than usual lately. Lordy, how deeply I felt things back then. It's embarrassing to remember that intensity of emotion, yet at the same time I'd love to have some of it back.

9:22 AM  
Blogger Meredith Pond said...

Just to let you know I do read your blog now and then . . . Great as always!! :)

4:18 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Thanks to you both! Know what? I can't get "Take It to the Limit" out of my head ever since I wrote that.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home