Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Vote for Jake Is a Vote for His Beard

My new beard is coming along. I like to think it's every bit as good as Jake Gyllenhaal's, as seen on page 101 of this week's Newsweek and on its Web site. Though there, as the cliche goes, the resemblance ends. (At the hairline, to be precise.) Jake appears to be the winner of a contest in which readers of the distinguished newsmagazine are invited to vote for their favorite celebrity photo of the week.

I haven't had a full beard in about 15 years. Most recently I was soul-patched. Before that, I had a goatee -- not unlike Brad Pitt's and Billy Joel's, as seen, as it happens, on page 101 of this week's Newsweek.

I even once had just a mustache. I keep waiting for the 1970s flannel-shirt-sideburns-and-mustache look to come back among gay men (not that my mustached look was that; James Joyce is more like it). But it never does. I'm not longing for it. It's just that from a cultural standpoint, I think it's strange that it doesn't. You'd think it would have by now.

6 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

Facial hair doesn't look very good on me. On the other hand, Jake G would look very good on me ;-)

10:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

perhaps you should consider going to the green lantern. that is definitely a bear + flannel + jeans kind of setting. and facial hair of all shapes and sizes are to be seen in the scene.

9:20 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Hey, I said I was just making a cultural observation! ;) I was really thinking of twentysomething gay men adopting a specifically '70s gay look -- not just a bear look, of which of course there are examples aplenty. Why has that not happened?

10:09 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i see lots of 20somethings with a scruffy, bearded 70's look. but mostly not gay. i think i've mentioned how often the beard makes the look when there's not much there otherwise. flannel, though, haven't seen a resurgence (yet).

9:06 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

I'm not talking about the bearded look!

9:31 PM  
Blogger diablo said...

tongue in cheek tongue in cheek, device for dialog flow....

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home