Monday, January 16, 2006

Back in the Closet

This may be as close to a universal American experience as any: Today I was unable to "do up" my favorite pair of jeans, no matter how much I inhaled. I hardly ever wear these jeans anymore and they've been on the snug side for some time, but not by that much. I've probably gotten more compliments on them than any other item of clothing I've ever owned.

They're not blue jeans but tan -- khaki, buff, ecru, whatever. They're threadbare around the front pockets and a little smudged both there and at the hems. They have a button fly -- a completely ridiculous invention from the perspective of the wearer. I bought them I'm sure more than ten years ago, maybe going on fifteen, at a store that no longer exists, Britches Great Outdoors. All I can say is that they created an appealing "line" on me that even I was aware of.

I remember sometime in my mid- to late thirties swearing I would never wear jeans after the age of forty. I'm there now, and I still wear jeans -- black ones as I type -- though I'm very careful about the style and fit. I don't know if I'll ever wear the tan ones again, but they're back on their hanger in the closet for now.

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wear only tops that stay outside the jeans now to cover up the fact that I can't button the top. I refuse to buy a larger size as I am convinced I will do something to get back to the size I was when I bought them. :)

7:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

have you tried putting them on while lying down ?? Back in the 70's when jeans were meant to have that "sprayed on" look I would lie on my bed and suck in my gut ... worked back then ... life (and jeans) seem to be less forgiving these days ... DMP

11:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I remember Britches! I loved clothes from there :-) I don't think I still have anything from that store though ...

9:19 AM  
Blogger TK said...

Never say never. And why not wear jeans after 40? Hell I get to wear jeans to work, though that's partly because my work can involve crawling arund under equipment and fighting with inks and toners.

And who knows, sometimes you can go back to that waist size...

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home