Friday, March 31, 2006

Coming Home

Sometimes you can find yourself moved in the most unexpected places -- such as the New York Times' Thursday House & Home section.

This is from the March 23 article "Personal Style, Unleashed by Divorce," by Jill Brooke, about people who are finally able to indulge their true decorating tastes after splitting up with their spouses or partners. For me it was about a lot more than interior design.

"Peter Quinn, a partner in
John Rosselli & Associates D.C., a store in Georgetown that sells antiques and decorative arts, said that he could trace the power struggles of his last relationship through 'the placement of possessions' in the Dupont Circle apartment he shared with his ex-boyfriend. A mahogany entrance table that he has now given pride of place in his hallway, for example, was relegated to a back bedroom for six years. 'My former boyfriend said he didn't like the table,' said Mr. Quinn, 47. 'I gave in. But giving in all the time begins to stunt you.

" 'I get pleasure every time I walk into my apartment and am now surrounded by things I love,' Mr. Quinn said. 'They are put exactly where I want them. I gave myself up for so long and then found myself again.' "

Couldn't have said it any better.

1 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

This is one of the reasons i don't know if I'll ever be able to live full-time with John. we have very different decorating tastes. I like having *my* apartment with *my* stuff.

11:17 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home