Tuesday, March 14, 2006

You Heard It Here First, Part I

One of the perks of my job is that I sometimes receive advance galleys of books. I just read two highly enjoyable novels, neither of which is published yet. I'll write about one of them tonight and get to the other later.

Lost and Found is by DC author
Carolyn Parkhurst, who received a lot of attention a few years ago for her first book, The Dogs of Babel (which I haven't read). The new book -- out in June -- might sound a little dumb on the surface: It's about the cast of an Amazing Race-like reality show called Lost and Found. The dozen or so characters are on a monthlong scavenger hunt around the world, and the chapters alternate among their points of view. Two of them are an "ex-gay" married couple. Another is a teenage lesbian traveling with her mother, who doesn't know that secret about her; it's only one of the tensions between those two, and not even the biggest one. This isn't a "gay novel," though; there are lots of nongay characters as well, including two middle-aged brothers and two former child TV stars. (All of the contestants on this show travel in pairs.)

I say the book might sound dumb only because I have zero interest in reality TV. I think it's . . . dumb. But I was drawn into Lost and Found from the first page. I hardly ever get sucked in that early on, even with books that I end up loving. It's a funny, moving, and beautifully written story of flawed people with complex inner lives.


Here's a passage from the point of view of the female half of the ex-gay couple, who are members of a conservative Christian ministry called Redemption. At this point, she's having some doubts as she rides in a car through a remote part of Sweden:

"Sometimes I wonder how we can be so sure what it is God sees. How arrogant we are, I sometimes think, to imagine there's someone watching us every minute. To think our every action matters that much. Perhaps God's eyes are more focused on the landscape outside the windows of this car: these dark forests, this rugged beauty. Perhaps this is where God turns when he needs a rest from all the noise of prayer."

See what I mean?

2 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

sounds like a good read :-) do you know when it's coming out?

12:23 PM  
Blogger vuboq said...

GAH. nevermind. you actually told us in your entry.

Do I get the "Careful Reader" Award now?

12:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home