Saturday, April 15, 2006

I Am Woman?

At the end of day three (full day two), I'm feeling a lot more at home here and comfortable around the other writers. (Apropos of nothing, a cow is mooing as I type.) For some reason I've been having a harder time "entering the space" than I did five years ago. Part of it is that this visit is turning out to be at least as much about my relationship to my writing as it is about the writing itself. Sort of a complicated dynamic there.

One fellow resident is the author of
an essay I've taught. I was a bit paralyzed with intimidation the other day when he introduced himself, and I said nothing about my connection. But I mentioned it tonight, and we had a nice chat.

Today I didn't just finish a book -- I read an entire book. It happens to be a short one: Nora Ephron's forthcoming essay collection, I Feel Bad About My Neck: And Other Thoughts on Being a Woman, which is out in August. I guess she's taking a little break from the screenwriting. Or is it taking a break from her?

There are some very funny moments as well as some pretty weak ones, particularly some of the endings. But she's nothing if not a deft writer. Just know going in that she skates on the surface most of the way.


There's a great short piece called "Me and Bill: The End of Love," about Bill Clinton. I remember reading it last year on the op-ed page of the Times, where it was published as "After the Love Is Gone." Now, that ending really works.

What does it mean that I brought with me not only a book "on being a woman" but also a half-dozen Luna energy bars, "the whole nutrition bar for women"? I didn't notice the gender-specific slogan until I was tearing the first one open yesterday. I gotta say, it tasted good.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

More questions from your question:
Why does it have to mean anything that you brought a book about being a woman?
Why when I was walking in the park did I overhear one guy refer to the women's section?
Why did we walk past a group exclusively made up of muslims, a group exclusively made up of hassidim and a group made up exclusively of black males (that included the one I overheard)?
Just askin'.

6:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home