Sunday, April 23, 2006

"You Know, You Ought to Get Yourself a Girl"



The Italian actress Alida Valli died yesterday. Up till now I knew her only as "Valli," her screen name in my all-time favorite movie, The Third Man, in which she costarred with Joseph Cotten and Orson Welles. If I'd gone to the trouble to research her life before now, I would have discovered that she had a long and extremely busy film career in Italy after The Third Man and a few other English-language films, including The Paradine Case with Gregory Peck, a Hitchcock film I haven't seen.


I saw The Third Man for the first time when I was a college freshman. The great 1949 film noir, with a screenplay by Graham Greene based on his novel, opened my eyes to the ways in which black and white, light and shadow, could comprise a full palette of their own in a movie. At 18, I had never been fully aware of that -- because I had never seen that palette used so beautifully before then. It was an exciting experience that changed the way I watched movies.

And that unforgettable closing shot in which Valli walks down that long, long tree-lined Viennese promenade, and then (ouch!) just keeps on walking past Joseph Cotten -- one of the great movie moments.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nell Minow said...

A wonderful movie, one of my favorites, too. Great shot of Welles, who contributed the script's best line: "In Italy, for thirty years under the Borgias, they had warfare, terror, murder, bloodshed — they produced Michelangelo, Leonardo da Vinci and the Renaissance. In Switzerland, they had brotherly love, five hundred years of democracy and peace, and what did that produce? The cuckoo clock."

And oh, that zither music...

10:21 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Yes, the zither music! I meant to mention that. I have the theme and other zither pieces by Anton Karas on vinyl. Should drag that out again, come to think of it.

8:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home