Tuesday, December 13, 2005

A Girl Named Liesl (and This Time It Has Nothing to Do with Mia Farrow)

Here's a very funny Slate.com article by Liesl Schillinger for anyone who read The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe as a kid and wondered, as I (and the article's author) did, what the mysterious confection "Turkish delight" was. I completely forgot I had wondered that until I read the article. It's called "The Lion, the Witch, and the Really Foul Candy."

I loved that book, and a couple of the others in the Narnia series, but I remember my enjoyment diminishing after about the third one, and I never finished the series. I don't feel compelled to see the movie, for some reason -- partly because I'd rather preserve my childhood memory of the book. I'm also just not so into kids' movies -- even lush, apparently brilliantly made ones that adults are meant to enjoy as well.

Some movies that I personally think did good to great jobs of capturing the spirit of the source material, in no particular order: The Dead (from the James Joyce story), Sophie's Choice, The Sheltering Sky (a really underrated film), A Home at the End of the World, The Graduate. I read the last one years ago after seeing the movie for the first time -- I've since seen it multiple times, including part of it tonight at the gym, as a matter of fact! -- and the book could pass as practically a screenplay; I mean it's almost exactly, word for word, what's on the screen. Bizarre.

Fun factoid: The charming Germanic name Liesl has appeared twice in the span of two days in a blog that's barely a week old.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Perhaps you should do some sort of Liesl-themed tally ... "Liesls of the World"

fun times.

i love turkish delight.

11:26 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is turkish delight a man named habib?

my vote for films that capture the book they are based on is the tin drum. also, i like the scorsese one that was based on the wharton book, what was that called?

10:09 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

The Age of Innocence. Thanks for voting! ;)

10:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home