Monday, February 13, 2006

Nothin' You Can Say Can Take Me Away from Argyle . . .

Have you ever in your life said the following two sentences -- let alone on the same day?

"I love argyle."

"Incidentally, today in gym we tumbled."

I did on February 13, 1974.

Yes, I'm in an "on this date in history" mood again.

I kept a diary -- religiously, if not obsessive-compulsively, with a different-colored felt-tip pen for every day of the week (and I never missed a day) -- during half of sixth, all of seventh, and half of eighth grade.

I'm not going to quote a whole passage this time, just those two sentences, because they make me smile. And I like leaving you with the mystery of what came before, between, and after them.

5 Comments:

Blogger beth said...

That is the best post title I have seen in ages.

6:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Speaking of outdated fashion trends--when was the last time you heard the phrase "Toughskins?"

6:56 AM  
Blogger vuboq said...

OMG! I actually used both those sentences yesterday! Talk about freaky coincidences.

8:41 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I had had a diary back then, I would have written, "Please, God, don't make us tumble in gym today...."

9:53 AM  
Blogger Francis S. said...

Billy, I would've liked to have met you, when we were in 6th grade. You could've taught me a thing or two about argyle, no doubt.

4:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home