Monday, January 30, 2006

"You Don't Eat Fish? But I Thought You Were Vegetarian."

What is it about some people who just don't seem to get the whole vegetarian thing? I'm having lunch tomorrow with a former coworker -- sort of an official doesn't-this-suck lunch following the unfortunate circumstances of his departure. When I e-mailed him to ask for suggestions about where we should go, he proposed Johnny's Half Shell.

Let's see, a highly regarded seafood restaurant. I guess I could have, oh, the Mixed Green Salad with House Dressing and, um, dessert. I wrote him back in my usual bending-over-backwards-to-be-self-deprecating way and said I hate to be that troublesome vegetarian, but . . .

This guy knows I don't eat meat. I've been vegetarian for as long as I've worked with him -- seven years. He's just one of those people who literally cannot imagine a meal without meat. He reminds me of another coworker, who at a holiday lunch a few years ago at the fabulous and veggie-friendly Mediterranean mezze restaurant Zaytinya, passed me a fish plate and, when I declined, said, "You don't eat fish?" I said, "No, I'm vegetarian." She said, "I know, but I thought vegetarians ate fish." I said, "Well, some people who call themselves vegetarians do, but I don't." Then we got into the always interesting and original "how do you get protein?" discussion. For the thousandth time.

So anyway, tomorrow my former coworker and I will eat instead at the very pleasant and yummy
David Greggory, where my favorite entree -- actually, one of my favorite vegetarian dishes anywhere -- is the Portobello Milanese with Smoked Red Pepper Sauce, Orzo and Squash Blossoms; my favorite dessert (again, one of the best anywhere) is the Tres Leches Cake with Caramelized Bananas.

8 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

We're "people who call themselves vegetarians" but eat fish. We don't eat shellfish, however, and would not be able to eat at that Johnny's Half Shell.

David Greggory looks wonderful and the desserts sound amazing. I'm tempted to plan our next vacation in DC just to try that restaurant.

I found your blog via "How to learn Swedish in 1000 difficult lessons" which I have been enjoying for quite a while.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

What about bacon ... most of my Jewish friends (who swear they don't eat pork) will eat bacon. Is that "pork" they ask ??

Doesn't a nice "BLT" sound delicious ?? Perhaps you could make a "TLT" with that soy protein stuff. Yum Yum ...

Friends and acquaintances (doesn't matter how long you have known them ... 6 years or 6 months)don't always pay attention ... it is only the ones who really care about you who listen and actually hear.

DMP

7:26 AM  
Blogger beth said...

love tres leches -- and the fact that their menu is divided into chocolate and Not Chocolate (because isn't that how dessert eaters really view the world...). never heard of it with caramelized bananas on top (though I guess plantains would be a little weird...)

7:47 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Evil pescatarians ruining it for us "real" vegetarians.

I usually say "Fish is not a vegetable." That seems to work.

Hope you are having a sunshiny day, despite the rain.

*smooch*

8:19 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

Thanks for the comments.(Thank you, Andie! Francis Strand and I are old friends who recently reconnected after many years.) This post has generated the most first-day comments of any yet!

9:10 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

enviroboi,
Pescatarian?
Nope, that doesn't sound as good.
I explain to others that I'm not a true vegetarian if it comes up, but I'm going to continue to call myself one.
Pescatarian sounds like an exterminator :)

10:26 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ha, I know what you mean. My parents don't know what to make of my vegetarian friends; to my parents (vis-a-vis their Catholic upbringing), their only experience not eating meat translates to still being able to eat fish on Lenten Fridays.

My boyfriend and I have eaten at David Greggory a few times so far. It's one of our favorite places.

2:44 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Hey, I eat mock chicken, beef, pork! No one ever said those things didn't taste good. I just don't think you should have to kill animals to get them! ;)

10:20 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home