Saturday, May 06, 2006

"Haven't I Seen You Before?"

I received in the mail today two pictures of myself from a conference at which I was a presenter in March. They were taken by the conference organizer during a workshop I taught on the first day. I remember being peripherally aware of her coming in with a camera while I prattled on.

I've never seen myself teaching, and I'm rather stunned and fascinated by these pictures. I can't stop looking at them. As I see it, there's a relaxed confidence and authority in my posture. In both photos, I'm caught in the middle of speaking, and while such a moment is often highly unflattering to most people, I've got to say I don't think either is a bad picture.

What strikes me more than anything is how different both are from my prevailing self-image. Not that I don't think I'm a good teacher or that I feel like a quivering mess when I teach. I don't -- though I was very anxious before this particular workshop, because I had never taught it before. It's just that, day to day, I don't imagine that the world sees me as someone who exudes relaxed confidence and authority. And Lord knows I don't see myself that way.

But it's right there in these pictures.

I did get a lot of positive feedback on that workshop, despite my advance jitters, so perhaps I'm someone who occasionally . . . um . . . exudes relaxed confidence and authority?

I would show you the pictures if (1) I had a scanner and (2) this weren't a (more or less) anonymous blog. So instead, for those of you who have never met me, here are some people who, at various times in my life, I've -- honest to God -- been told I resemble: this guy, this guy, this guy, this guy, and (splash of ice-cold water) this guy.

5 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

I think I would have to hurt anyone who told me I looked like Steve Buscemi. You don't, btw.

3:05 PM  
Blogger diablo said...

as far as resemblences, i vote for mark doty

3:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

If you have the VOICE of Jeremy Irons, then you need to make your blog entries into podcasts.

5:22 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Ha ha. I know what you mean dpv. And yes, Diablo, Mark Doty and I do have the same hairstylist. ;)

8:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

and your brother has been told he looks like
Steve Buscemi, James Woods, Klaus Kinski, Peter Weller...and some people think you look like your brother, but I don't see it

12:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home