Monday, July 24, 2006

Forgive Me, Meryl

Okay, it's no big deal. I just thought Meryl Streep made a peculiar choice in The Devil Wears Prada: Instead of playing Miranda Priestly as a cartoon monster, she played her as . . . a cartoon monster on Valium.

What was with that monotone, hushed delivery? Really annoying -- not subtle, not nuanced, and no, please, not Oscar-worthy. Though see if anyone listens to me come January when the nominations are announced.


So her Miranda is more "human" than the character in the book (which I didn't read). She's still pretty near one-dimensional and, frankly, just marginally human. I detested her a lot more than I think I was supposed to, judging from all the fawning press I've read about Streep's performance.

And it is, of course, a mediocre movie.

I normally think Meryl Streep walks on water, but what is she doing playing these cutout characters in so-so movies lately? I felt the same about her Oscar-nominated turn in The Manchurian Candidate a couple of years ago. I kept reading about how much she expressed in her character's ice-crunching. That sounded interesting to me -- I thought it might be some ongoing tick she would "use" in the role.

It turned out she crunched some ice in one scene.

This is the woman who made Sophie's Choice, Manhattan, Kramer vs. Kramer, A Cry in the Dark, Silkwood, Out of Africa, Plenty, Postcards from the Edge, The Bridges of Madison County, The River Wild (yes, I'd include that one) -- all excellent to extraordinary movies.

I haven't seen A Prairie Home Companion yet but have enjoyed her two recent appearances on the PHC radio show to promote it (here and here), so it seems promising -- to me anyway. I know the movie has gotten mixed reviews, and you could argue all of the characters out of Garrison Keillor's head are cartoons, but hey, I'm a fan. And it is Robert Altman. I don't believe the director of The Devil Wears Prada was named Altman.

That's all -- nothing more to see here. Move along.

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

"... what is she doing playing these cutout characters in so-so movies lately?"

Good question, but where are the good roles -- for her + other actresses of a certain age? (For a Meryl-fix, how about her recent work in Angels in America?)

Your play-going weekend sounded wonderful! Glad you're feeling better-- Wendi

1:24 AM  
Blogger vuboq said...

I actually enjoyed her performance in Prada ... and was going to make a comment similar to the Happy Booker's. Alas.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

I'll tell you where those roles are: in the theater, where Meryl started out and where it seems she's returning, at least on occasion now. She's starring in Mother Courage and Her Children (in a new translation by Tony Kushner) next month in Central Park.

8:04 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

Oh, and yes, she was great in Angels in America. I just wish she'd pick her roles more selectively. She certainly doesn't need the money. Okay, she wants to work -- but again, do more theater!

8:05 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

OMIGOD! how could you?

how could you not mention A cry in the dark with the dingo eating the baby and all? oh wait, you did. then, how could you not mention The hours or Adaptation; i really liked her in the latter, i seem to remember you despised it. or am i making that up?

9:47 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

You're making that up. PLEASE STOP PUTTING WORDS IN MY MOUTH. ;) I liked Adaptation fine, and I loved The Hours, just forgot to mention it. My list wasn't intended as comprehensive, just examples.

10:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home