Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Sweet

I was stressed out tonight, so I made butternut-squash-and-spinach risotto and -- to satisfy a craving that came out of nowhere on the walk home from work -- golden cupcakes with vanilla buttercream frosting. I hardly ever make cupcakes (though I love them so) and never just for myself. I spent a lot of time in the kitchen, but it was worth it.

Given that I also have those cookies from the next-door neighbors, some fudge D. gave me when I left the lunch he hosted on Saturday, and extra peanut-butter cookies from the batch I made to bring to D.'s on Saturday, it feels like the winter of 1994 (except for the weather, of course), when I lived in my cozy little Takoma Park apartment (the first place of my own, having previously lived for eight years with my brother, in a group house before that, and with my parents for a year and a half after college) and we had days upon days of ice and snow and the Winter Olympics were on and all there was to do while the wind howled and the trees cracked was bake and eat and bake and eat and watch figure skating and (appropriately enough) Northern Exposure, which I'd gotten hooked on that year. I remember one night in particular when I a made a semi-improvised bundt cake drenched in orange glaze, which I ate and ate while Tonya and Nancy had at it. Gilloolylicious!

1 Comments:

Blogger diablo said...

quite yummy those cupcakes were. one fell swoop. that's all i'm saying on that topic.

i don't know how it's possible to be surrounded by baked goods and not be constantly munching on them. i have absolutely no off mechanism and if it's close at hand, it's probably in my mouth :)

6:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home