Sunday, November 26, 2006

I Have Custody of My Neighbors' Cookies

At 10 p.m. tonight, the cute little couple who just moved in next door rang my doorbell and presented me with some freshly baked cookies by way of introducing themselves. Their names are Jason and Amy. (What else would they be?) That's the first time in my life that's ever happened. Everywhere else I've lived, I've met the neighbors in the course of going about my daily business. No one has ever rung the bell and introduced themselves with a handful of baked goods. Nor have I ever done it, as either the new neighbor or the welcoming one. It was sweet.

They're about to adopt a dog and are having a home visit from a rescue group tomorrow. When I told them I had two dogs who weren't here right now because I share custody of them with my ex, I got the reaction I usually get from straight people.

Tee hee.

And this is funny because . . . ? I always chuckle along and then kind of get mad myself for doing so. I know the arrangement is a little unusual, so I guess it may be nervous laughter or something on their part.

The typical reaction I get from gay people: "That's so gay!"

Why can't it just be . . . life? Without a titter track.

4 Comments:

Blogger diablo said...

it could have been biff and muffy. and they would've brought over a selection of gourmet goods from needless markup and frowned upon you while pretending that they are happy that you are neighbors :)

9:51 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

perhaps its the notion of sharing custody that they find funny rather than the actual practice; i suspect that most straights reserve that language for children (of the human variety).

10:01 AM  
Blogger dykewife said...

discomfort makes people act stupid. too bad they lack the maturity to just nod and try to arrange a "play date" for the dogs.

2:11 AM  
Blogger vuboq said...

"titter track"

*tee hee*

10:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home