Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Hey, Isn't That . . . D'oh!

Okay, does this happen to anyone else? Are there songs that, when they come on the radio, you consistently think they're going be another, better song that has a very similar opening? It's like you never learn.

I know there's a long list of them for me, but right now I can think of only two:

Am I the only one who gets all excited thinking Peter Gabriel's "Biko" is having one of its rare airplay moments, only to find out it's actually . . . "In the Air Tonight" by Phil Collins (the destitute man's Peter Gabriel)?

My other example will probably mean nothing to most, if not all, of my readers. But hope springs eternal that WMZQ is really playing Rosanne Cash's cover of her father's "Tennessee Flat Top Box," only to realize it's Lorrie Morgan's "Except for Monday," a catchy (and danceable) enough ditty but no match for Rosanne's great hit from 1987 (the year I started, secretly, listening to country radio, and long before Rosanne was dead to Nashville).

Let's hear some other examples of radio false alarms! I'll keep thinking, too.

4 Comments:

Blogger diablo said...

perhaps you should download the gabriel and cash tunes and have them at the ready for such occasions!

8:49 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

hey! i did comment on this! you said no one did. and you were a witness to an episode of this phenomenon last night when i thought something good was coming on the radio and instead a country song came on :)

9:38 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

I knew you had commented; I meant that no one responded to my request for other examples. Yes, we did hear a country song last night on the radio that I've already forgotten that you thought was going to be another, non-country song that I've already forgotten.

10:13 AM  
Blogger Nell Minow said...

Does half an example count? There's some song that I always think is Sublime's "Santeria," which I like, but I am blocking the name of the awful song it turns out to be instead. If I come up with the answer or perish forbid hear it again, I'll edit this comment.

11:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home