Monday, January 29, 2007

"It's a Remarkable Thing"

As of this afternoon, I'm a homeowner for the first time at age 45.

Tonight I walked over and let myself in. I looked around, imagined.

It's a small place. I confirmed with a tape measure what I've been suspecting: I'll have to downsize a little, get smaller, narrower versions of some things. Rectangular dining table with leaves will be replaced by square table with leaves. Low, wide dresser by tall, skinny dresser. That sort of thing.

Not exactly sure where the books will go!

But if New Yorkers can do it, so can I. I recently read an article in the New York Times about a couple of Manhattanites (he's an architect) and their baby who live stylishly in less square footage than I have.

I was starting to get tense about all the things that need doing -- changing the locks, having the grout cleaned in the kitchen floor, weatherstripping, painting. (I wasn't going to paint the walls right away, as they technically were just done, but suddenly they look very . . . gloppy. I want them to look nice.) Then I reminded myself: This is my chance to really make it my own for the first time. I can make a gem of it if I put my mind to it. Remember, I can light a fire.

Tonight I cleaned the floors. The smell of Murphy's Oil Soap is still with me.

****

They came around the corner, and there was Eeyore's house, looking as comfy as anything.

"There you are," said Piglet.

"Inside as well as outside," said Pooh proudly.

Eeyore went inside . . . and came out again.

"It's a remarkable thing," he said. "It is my house, and I built it where I said I did, so the wind must have blown it here. And the wind blew it right over the wood, and blew it down here, and here it is as good as ever. In fact, better in places."

"Much better," said Pooh and Piglet together.

"It just shows what can be done by taking a little trouble," said Eeyore. "Do you see, Pooh? Do you see, Piglet? Brains first and then Hard Work. Look at it! That's the way to build a house," said Eeyore proudly.

13 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

CONGRATULATIONS! Let me know when you're ready for a low, wide houseguest to match your low, wide dresser.

7:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oops. I got it wrong: The low, wide dresser is going away. Feel free to delete my comment, but I assume the unspoken invitation to visit is still implied. ;-)

7:10 AM  
Blogger vuboq said...

WOO HOO! Welcome to the joys of homeownership!

And the house-warming will be when???

8:29 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

perfect timing—the latest pottery barn catalog has a section called "big ideas for small spaces"! And they offer new reduced shipping charges! see page 79 :)

10:12 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Yeah, I was looking at the PB catalog tonight. Their idea of "small spaces" is a joke.

Thanks, Cooper, Vuboq, and DPV!

10:16 PM  
Blogger beth said...

congrats!

1:13 PM  
Blogger dykewife said...

congratulations! i hope you'll have many happy years in your new digs.

10:23 PM  
Blogger diablo said...

Less space means less to clean! an all chocolate and red wine affair is needed to celebrate!

11:59 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

I'm not complaining about my small space. You seem to have missed my point. Pottery Barn's idea of small space is not really small at all -- they have all these very large pieces of furniture in, at best, medium spaces. I could fit my condo inside one of their "small" rooms. I like small spaces, but if you're going to call a space small in order to sell furniture to those who actually live in small spaces, it damn well better be a small space!

12:09 AM  
Blogger Nell Minow said...

My darling grandmother always brought a candle, some salt, and some sugar to celebrate a new home. So, consider this message a cyber version, and welcome home!

10:39 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I read that same article in the NY Times & suddenly felt my 950 square feet were now all mansiony! Very happy about the apt. Hope you'll post some photos.ww

9:21 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh, and about the Pottery Barn: I think Room and Board (with a store in NYC that will deliver to DC) has a much clearer idea about as to what "small" means!

9:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

So when is the open house?

1:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home