Wednesday, January 17, 2007

See

1. The glasses in this picture are the ones I wore before I bought my most recent pair (which look sort of like this), though this picture was taken just two nights ago. I've started to wear these older ones again recently for a change of pace.

2. I take my contacts out and put my glasses on as soon as I get home from work.

3. The glasses in this picture, which are German and quite expensive, are remarkably similar to the first glasses I got, in the spring of 1970, which were, as far as I know, not German and probably not very expensive. When I walked into my third-grade classroom the next day, some kids put their rounded fingers to their faces in the universal symbol for "four eyes."

4. The picture is a self-portrait.

5. I got contacts over Christmas break during my freshman year of college. I was miserable for the first few weeks of second semester and was actually considering transferring till one of my friends laughed at me and said, "It's just the contacts." I didn't believe him, but he turned out to be right.

6. Everyone in my immediate family wears glasses. We've been known to get competitive about who is blinder than whom.

7. Once I went into one of those discount eyewear shops, and when the optician looked at my prescription, he laughed.

8. One of my sisters married an ophthalmologist.

9. It turns out I have less of a problem with anonymity than with invisibility.

10. I may see things differently tomorrow.

5 Comments:

Blogger Will said...

I had contacts for a very happy seven months once. They were such a treat after glasses that would sometimes fall off my face with perspiration or get knocked off accidentally by a fellow worker or a student while I was up on a scaffold painting one of my sets.

Everything was a bit larger and more immediate with contacts. I felt as if I'd stepped out from behind a duck blind or some sort of screen.

I fell afoul of an old family problem--calcium deposits on the underside of the eyelids. The contacts became painful to wear, I had to give them up and go back to the glasses.

2:48 PM  
Blogger dykewife said...

you're quite a handsome guy. the glasses look the ones that my dad first got in the 1970s. funny how things cycle around.

11:35 PM  
Blogger vuboq said...

and Billy comes out of the Blogger anonymity closet. congrats :-)

your glasses are cute.

12:20 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

Thanks for the compliments. *blush*

8:48 AM  
Blogger Nell Minow said...

Very handsome.

The glasses are, too.

1:01 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home