Monday, August 27, 2007

Closer to Fine

Okay, I've now officially had my summer and can go into autumn smiling. Last night Diablo and I trekked out to Wolf Trap -- a true natural and artistic treasure that we Washingtonians are lucky to have in our vicinity. To me, Wolf Trap (America's only national park for the performing arts!) is summer. I try to go at least once a season, and I didn't make it there at all last year. To listen to lovely music on a lawn full of congenial people while warm breezes pass over me in this particular place -- well, it's one of my favorite things in the world.

I can't do much better than Diablo has in describing last night's Indigo Girls show. "Catching up with an old friend" is just right. I'd never seen the Girls live and had long heard that their Wolf Trap show was something to experience. Indeed it was. As all of the very best concerts are to me, it was, in some indefinable way, inspiring. Not really "I could do that." More I want to do . . . not that but something like that, something beautiful and humane and connecting. The pursuit is worthwhile. And being the recipient of that feeling almost feels enough. At least on one night.

I have only one Indigo Girls album, which I'm listening to right now (on cassette). It's their self-titled one containing the career-defining anthem "Closer to Fine." (Diablo would argue "Galileo," which I'd almost forgotten about, is that song.) I consider myself a fan, so why don't I have more of their music? I will rectify that situation.


Here are some pictures of my own from last night, to supplement Diablo's and his narrative of the entire evening.

The Filene Center, where the stage and the people with the more expensive seats are. I've sat there too, and I think I like the lawn better, unless it's someone I'm fanatical about, like Emmylou Harris, and must see every movement of. It's a beautiful structure that burned to the ground when I was in college and was completely rebuilt.

Me with glasses.

Without glasses. Look at the couple in the background. Are they mocking us???

The horror! The horror!

Still Life With Calves (and Knees)

Please, sir, I want some more.

3 Comments:

Blogger dykewife said...

oh! i would adore seeing indigo girls or emmylou or both! lucky, lucky you! the food looks great too.

i like both galileo and closer to fine, but i really dislike chicken man. i've got many of their albums and their music takes up a lot of space on my mp3 player.

9:59 PM  
Blogger beth said...

Oh, I miss Wolf Trap! (Saw the Indigo Girls there several years ago.) Of course, all I can think about when I read Wolf Trap is a certain ME who shall remain nameless putting in notes: "Wolf Trap Farm Park?"

6:51 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

LOL. A little inside humor -- love it. :)

7:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home