Sunday, August 19, 2007

Five Little Words

"I have three words," said Diablo as we exited the theater where we'd just seen Death at a Funeral. "Contrived. Predictable. Gross."

I added two: pedestrian and implausible.

Although it came in too late to qualify as an official sixth word, we later agreed that "offensive" applied as well.


I was convinced that the screenwriter, Dean Craig, had to be an American hack (or rank beginner, or both) who got it in his mind that he could write a wacky British farce -- I could think of no other explanation for the lame, write-by-numbers material -- but it seems that he's British after all.

A shame to see the sexy and talented Peter Dinklage fallen this low. But hey, the rest of the audience seemed to love it. Why does this happen so often?

3 Comments:

Blogger dykewife said...

perhaps because the rest of the audience was also contrived, predictable, gross, pedestrian, implausible, and offensive. or else they like that.

11:38 PM  
Blogger TK said...

How sad, especially because I think I saw that the still-cute Rupert Graves (Room with a View, Maurice) was in it. I had such a crush on Alec Scudder.

8:34 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Oooh, sadly he he not cute anymore. The years have not been kind to him. Maybe it was the lighting or the haircut or something, but I would not call him still cute.

9:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home