Thursday, September 06, 2007

Sayonara

I haven't asked, but I'll bet you anything T.Kevin also noticed Miyoshi Umeki's obituary in the paper today.

I'm of the generation whose first association with her is not the movies
Flower Drum Song and Sayonara but the TV series The Courtship of Eddie's Father. I loved Eddie, and I really loved Eddie's father, but I also loved, in a different way, Mrs. Livingston.

Don't think less of me if I phonetically and politically incorrectly remember her pidgin English one last time:
"Yes, Mista Eddie's fadda . . ." I loved how she called him that.

As I waited for the bus tonight, I challenged myself to remember the theme song to that show. At first the Partridge Family theme is all I could think of. Then, finally, it surfaced: "People, let me tell you 'bout my best friend, he's a warm-hearted person who'll love me till the end . . ."

Do you remember
who sang it (and wrote it)?

5 Comments:

Blogger Nell Minow said...

My up my down my pride and joy...whether we're talkin' man to man or whether we're talkin' son to son....

I loved that show. I loved all three of them and I loved that song.

It's quite different, but I am also a big fan of the movie, with Glenn Ford, Shirley Jones, Stella Stevens, Dina Merrill, and Ron(nie) Howard as Eddie.

6:09 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The theme song and the opening credits' montage were very important to the show -- at least, I thought so. I seem to have a memory of resenting them for changing it near the end of the show's run. ... And there was something about James Komack that made me love him and dislike him all at the same time. ... Here's a promotional photo from the show that, when viewed all these years later, allows a different take on what the title of the show might imply. ... Thanks for bringing back some fond memories. -- dpv

8:22 AM  
Blogger dykewife said...

oh my! mrs livingston is dead? that makes me very sad. like you, i remember her first from the courtship of eddie's father. i didn't see flower drum song until years after. interestingly, i saw flower drum song just before barnie miller started with jack soo. i was very happy to recognize him.

7:34 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Although I enjoyed Eddie's father, my favorite "family" show of this era was Nanny and the Professor--I believe she had esp or something.

6:12 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

I haven't thought about Nanny and the Professor in a long time. I liked that one too. Yes, she had ESP.

8:56 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home