Tuesday, August 01, 2006

I've Got a Poodle on My Lap: An August Miscellany

It's my sister's dog, whom I'm taking care of for the next week while she and her family are up on Mount Desert Island, Maine, where I've been wanting to go for a long time.

The other night, I had a dream in which appeared
Sam Elliott and Katharine Ross (his real-life wife). By the end of their "scene," he had turned into Sam Donaldson.

Over the weekend, I baked butterscotch brownies from
Joy of Cooking (not the new-fangled edition) -- another recipe, like Lazy Daisy Cake, that I've been making since childhood -- as well as chocolate sauce (for ice cream -- you'd be surprised how easy it is to make, and so much better than store-bought) from How to Cook Everything. From that same cookbook I made "basic pancakes" (with the addition of a quarter-cup wheat germ in place of a quarter-cup of the flour) and served them to my 13-year-old niece, who had spent the night with me to help the poodle acclimate himself to my place. My niece didn't put syrup on her pancakes, just a little butter. "I have weird tastes," she said.

We watched
Nanny McPhee -- I'd give it a B. It was a subdued Emma Thompson (whom I normally put almost in the category of La Streep; wasn't Emma the best thing about that puu puu platter of a movie Love, Actually?), which was probably appropriate, though still less than exciting to watch. I did like the Tim Burtonesque production design, but I found the movie somewhat unsatisfying in the end. The next night, I watched Napoleon Dynamite. A-minus. No special meaning in the minus -- just not my favorite movie in the world, though it was very good. Kind of painful in parts, in a hitting-close-to-home way. (It's about a high school nerd if you haven't seen it -- you do the math.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home