Sunday, November 05, 2006

"I Am a Self-Loathing Gay American"

Ugh:

". . . In a letter that was read to the congregation of the New Life Church by another clergyman, [Rev. Ted] Haggard apologized for his acts and requested forgiveness. . . . 'The fact is I am guilty of sexual immorality. And I take responsibility for the entire problem. I am a deceiver and a liar. There's a part of my life that is so repulsive and dark that I have been warring against it for all of my adult life. . . .' " (AP)

***

On a much brighter note, actor Neil Patrick Harris has come out to People magazine:

" '. . . I am happy to dispel any rumors or misconceptions and am quite proud to say that I am a very content gay man living my life to the fullest and feel most fortunate to be working with wonderful people in the business I love.' "

Way to go, Doogie!

5 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

I think there needs to be some a requirement written into the Gay Agenda Bylaws that whenever a self-hating homophobe is dragged out of the closet, a nice well-adjusted gay should also come out. It provides balance. And Doogie's statement was very eloquent.

oh. and I totally *heart* the title of your previous post.

9:53 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why do I wish that Doogie had come out in The Advocate rather than People? Am I selfish in wishing he had come out first to other gay people instead of the readers of a tabloid printed on slick paper? Is he saying he wants to be gay but not political about it? Is he afraid The Advocate might ask him why he didn't come out sooner, or corner him into being "more gay" than he's comfortable admitting to? Am I just being too cynical? Whate'er the case, I'm just glad he's out. I'll try to set aside my criticism of how he chose to do it.

9:59 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

In this case, I'm not inclined to nitpick. I think anyone starring on a mainstream network TV show who chooses to come out -- in the open, matter-of-fact, and unambiguously affirmative way in which he did -- deserves applause and respect. To me, it makes no difference what magazine he chose to convey the news.

10:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two quotes I like about the Haggard situation:

Max Blumenthal in the Huffington Post re the response from the Christian right: "More seamy scandals are inevitable, but don't expect that to stop them from projecting their shame on others."

And from the man who had sex with Haggard, in the Denver Post:

Jones said he would visit the New Life Church if he were invited. "I'd love to go down and sit in on services and see how I'm received," he said. "I would like them to see that I am a human being. What I feel sorry for is they still believe in him."

It would be nice to see those on the other side show even half of that level of class, self-respect, and dignity.

Oh, and I also liked this: http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s2i11955

9:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bill Maher, the closest thing we have to a funny Gore Vidal, said it so perfectly on Larry King last night when this subject was broached. There is no greater love than self-loathing which is exactly what I think everytime one of these public persona homophobes is caught trousers around the ankles in the privacy of their own lives.

8:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home