Sunday, December 24, 2006

From Somebody Else's House

I wanted to post something Christmas-related today, but time is short -- I have presents to wrap, baking mistakes to salvage! -- so I'm going to post something completely not holiday-themed: a quote that I wrote down a dozen or so years ago from a brilliant one-man show performed and written by David Cale, whom I've heard little about since. It turns out that it's still apt. I'll consider coming across it today a Christmas gift from my subconscious.

The show was called Somebody Else's House. These lines stuck with me, and I wrote them down as soon as I got home from the theater. I'm pretty sure they're the actual words, but they could be slightly paraphrased. Apologies to David Cale if there are any errors.

"I knew a man, and when he died he took a taxi ride through his life, and he said to himself: 'Is this what intimidated me? Is this what held me back? Is this what kept me in check?' "

Happy holidays to all.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nell Minow said...

I think very often we are like Alice in Wonderland, learning only at the end of the story that what has seemed so overwhelmingly intimidating is nothing but a deck of cards, or Dorothy, learning that all it takes to make a terrifying witch melt away is a bucket of water. Or Spinal Tap, seeing that the great big Stonehenge they ordered was measured in inches, not feet.

I read a memoir by a psychiatrist once, and he said that during his training at a mental hospital he was called to help a dying man who had not spoken a word for decades. The man looked up at him and said something like, "I always thought I would have time to be able to leave here and go live on Social Security." I've kept that guy in mind when I've thought maybe I'd try that scary thing tomorrow as a reminder I'd better try it today.

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home