Thursday, May 03, 2007

Saved

Last night, for the first time in 14 years of teaching where I teach, I completely forgot about a reading assignment I’d given my students. I didn’t do my own homework!

Just as I was moving on to the discussion of their writing, one of them said, “What about ‘Shadow Cities’?” -- the name of the essay I’d given them last week.

Uuuum. Right! Thank you so much for reminding me! Yikes, sor-ry!

I pulled the essay out of my folder and was actually about to open the discussion, knowing full well that I had not prepared. While I have read this essay before (that’s why I chose it in the first place) and have used it in teaching this same class, I have not done so in probably four or five years -- maybe longer. I was actually about to invite someone to open the discussion of an essay that I had only the barest recollection of.

Fortunately, a wiser voice in my head then spoke to me: Are you crazy? You’re going to fake it? Isn’t it hard enough when you’ve actually prepared for a discussion? You are about to create for yourself the classic Bad Dream -- having to take a test you haven’t studied for, standing on stage in a play when you haven’t rehearsed your lines even once.

I put the essay away, red-faced, and said, “You know, can we discuss this next week?”

3 Comments:

Blogger dykewife said...

there is nothing more human than a teacher who admits being unprepared. congratulations for admitting to that. very few adults are able to admit to fault.

11:03 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

Thanks. It was definitely a lesson in humility -- and in looking out for myself.

11:16 PM  
Blogger diablo said...

very wise choice! you'd probably remember the article and why you chose it once a discussion ensued. better to be safe though.

1:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home