Sunday, April 01, 2007

In This Together

Here's an amazing story from today's New York Times about family, community, and coming out of the closet as a teen. (You might have to register to read it.) Just about all of the main characters in this article give voice to the better angels of their nature. Here's an excerpt:

That night, when his mother got home from work, she stuck her head in his room to say hi. “I said, ‘Ma, I need to talk to you about something, I’m gay.’ She said, ‘O.K., anything else?’ ‘No, but I just told you I’m gay.’ ‘O.K., that’s fine, we still love you.’ I said, ‘That’s it?’ I was preparing for this really dramatic moment.”

Ms. O’Connor recalls, “He said, ‘Mom, aren’t you going to freak out?’ I said: ‘It’s up to you to decide who to love. I have your father, and you have to figure out what’s best for you.’ He said, ‘Don’t tell Dad.’ ”

“Of course I told him,” Ms. O’Connor says.

“With all our faults,” Mr. O’Connor says, “we’re in this together.”

4 Comments:

Blogger Nell Minow said...

I loved that story. It brought tears to my eyes and I told my family about it. What I loved most was that what you call the better angels didn't need to be called on -- they were already there, and all that was there, sweet and utterly welcoming.

A friend told me his favorite coming out moment (when he was something like 30 years old -- it took him a long time) was the person who responded only, "Um, duh?" I like the way the family here responded because they didn't need to think about it or call in a counselor or get used to the idea. They just loved him for who he was and all he was, and that was that.

9:42 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

One of the things I loved the most is that the parents got him a gay therapist.

9:50 PM  
Blogger dykewife said...

it was a very nice article. would that all parents had such healthy and supportive reactions to their children "coming out" to them.

11:10 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Wow. That's a great, heartwarming story.

1:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home