Tuesday, September 18, 2007

Gestation

I'm off this week, so -- eight months after buying my condo and nearly seven months after moving in -- I finally got down to business with my patio/garden. This is how it looked on a dreary January day (and it hasn't looked a whole lot different over the subsequent months):

The weird curtain-like screen that did no good whatsoever and was ugly to boot is history. I plan to have a retractable screen installed next spring so I can sleep with the door open. (The patio is off the bedroom.)

I put the paint-spattered chairs (not mine) on the sidewalk and they found a happy home.


And here's how the garden looks as of today. It's a start. The ornamental grass, ferns, and hostas especially won't start coming into their own until next year. Everything will grow and spread. I can't wait for the dogs to see it. They've had no pretty scents to smell (a.k.a. plants to pee on) all this time.


Thanks to Meg for obtaining the oak splits bordering the beds; they're from a lumberyard on the Eastern Shore. I stained them mah-self. (Yes, that's a new fence; my neighbor replaced it since the first picture was taken.)


I dug up the rocks from the dirt that lies underneath the topsoil.


Note the Stonehengey rocks that formerly bordered the garden beds (see first photo). I don't really have a use for them but don't want to throw them away because I kind of don't hate them. So for now I've just lined them up on the ledge.


I've always been drawn to symmetry -- probably too much for my own good.


This is a potting shed made from a salvaged window shutter. My ex and I bought it and the rusty obelisk in the other garden bed in Frederick, Maryland. I got them in the divorce.




Grow, little planties, grow.


My garden and the city beyond.

5 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Looks great!

12:08 PM  
Blogger dykewife said...

very attractive :) i'm of the gardening type that likes a riot of colours and varieties of plants that bloom at different times. however, i'm not that over fond of dirt under my fingernails.

10:35 PM  
Blogger Cooper said...

It's looking great, and next year it will look fantastic! I often think that a garden grows from the inside ... in the dream and planning of the beauty, and then as your hands get dirty (I do love dirt under my fingernails), it starts to bloom in reality. Those small rocks all line up look rather zen. The eye is drawn to them. I'm glad you didn't throw them away. They belong.

8:41 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

mary, mary… how does your garden grow?

5:50 PM  
Blogger TK said...

Very nice! I like the stones too. Sometimes I wish I had a little gardening-space to play with.

11:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home