Monday, October 01, 2007

The First Monday in October

My blogging mojo has obviously flagged over the last couple of weeks. Sorry about that -- it doesn't reflect anything bad going on. Here's what has been happening. Since I last wrote, I turned 46; painted my kitchen ("Golden Delicious"); became preoccupied with World War II (my father's war); grew my goatee back and embraced the gray (see "I turned 46") because facial hair is almost always a good thing; made a peace offering to a coworker I unintentionally offended (an incident from which I learned it's a bad idea to try to catch up on work at 11:30 at night, the time when cranky e-mails happen); read the best Washington Post Style section celebrity profile I've read in years; read a great article in the New Yorker about Leica cameras, which was so beautifully written and inspiring that it made me wonder if my long-abandoned calling as a photographer was the right one all along, continued to enjoy, while walking the dogs four times a day, podcasts of the best program on NPR (it was broadcast in Washington for about five minutes a couple of years ago, which is how I became acquainted with it); and, the other night, met a charming, warm, and radiant young woman while walking said dogs who told me that she's seen me with them many times and, because of our slow-as-molasses pace (set by the beagle), says to herself whenever she sees us: "Here come the old ladies." (Yet only one of us is actually female.) I intended to blog about each of those things over the last two weeks, but this will just have to do.

2 Comments:

Blogger Paul said...

I've watched the first four episodes of The War so far. I can't believe the carnage, the destruction, the cooperation of the media, the internment camps, and how it affected everybody. My father was in the service from '41 until the end of the War. But he NEVER talked about it. I have no idea what he did, or where he did it.

Plus I'm captivated by Nora Jones singing the American Anthem.

Happy Birthday.

2:55 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

My father talks about almost nothing but his time in WWII these days.

7:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home