Saturday, August 26, 2006

Neil and Friends

I've been laid low by sickness for the second time this summer. Very bizarre. Sore throat with some associated symptoms, but I'm not sure it qualifies as a cold yet -- and God forbid, I don't think it's the flu again. No fever, fortunately.

Tonight I watched the DVD of the Jonathan Demme-directed Neil Young concert film Heart of Gold, a performance recorded a year ago at the Ryman Auditorium in Nashville. It's a moving experience for Neil Young fans, of whom I am one, though I own only a couple of his albums.


It struck me that his newer songs -- including the ones from his latest, post-brain-aneurysm CD, Prairie Wind, the centerpiece of the first half of the show -- probably would never have been the songs to establish a career. But they're mostly lovely and act as a kind of retrospective commentary, now that he's in his sixties -- a golden burnishment on his life, much like the amber light that bathed the Ryman stage.

The first song I found myself spontaneously singing along to -- somewhat surprisingly, given the froggy quality of my voice today and the knife-like pain generated by any vocalization -- was "Comes a Time," from his 1978 album of the same name, one of the two I own. I continued a bit on the beautiful "Four Strong Winds," from the same record.

When I was on my junior year abroad in Germany -- the 25th anniversary of which is upon us; stay tuned for another "on this date in history" post or two from that time -- I bought Young's Harvest on cassette, which I played over and over on my little boom box in my room on nights both lonely and otherwise. I will always associate it with that year.

Getting back to the film, I can't resist noting that an otherwise sweet song about Young's daughter contains one of the worst lyrics by a great songwriter that I've ever heard (exacerbated by the fact that he made the line at fault the song's title): "Listen to the sound / Of this old heart beating for you / Yes I'd miss you / But I never want to hold you down / You might say I'm here for you."

Um, yeah, you might . . . I guess.

Watching Young onstage with his old friend Emmylou Harris reminded me of an under-the-radar duet album Emmylou made seven years ago with her old friend Linda Ronstadt, who is also an old friend of Neil's (she sings backup on his classic song "Heart of Gold," from Harvest). It's called Western Wall: The Tucson Sessions.

On that album, Linda -- whom I will have to blog about someday, as she figured so prominently in my adolescent musical, and in some ways fantasy, life -- does lead vocals on a cover of Jackson Brown's "For a Dancer," with Emmylou and Neil lending exuberant backing vocals. It's the kind of musical gathering, and creation, that makes me wish I were their friend, too. I recommend the whole album, if you're into that sort of thing. I'm listening to it now.

3 Comments:

Blogger dykewife said...

trio is another good collaboration album. that one is emmy lou, linda and dolly parton. it's actually what got me to begin thinking of dolly as more than a huge set of boobs. she's quite an intelligent, sweet and funny lady. emmy lou has been one of my favourites for many years. when i get some money, i'm going to get some neil young. thanks for reminding me that i like his music.

12:44 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

Yes, you're right. I have Trio too. The Linda-Emmylou one is a little more folk-rocky than country.

4:34 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

if i recall correctly, neil young has something of a froggy voice himself, so perhaps you should not worry too much about vocalizing. or you could get miss piggy to join you and do an album of covers! i want full credit for the idea.

4:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home