Thursday, August 10, 2006

No Turning Back

I recently poked fun at the idea of deep-frying a veggie burger, even as I admired how much better it made it taste. Well, the other day I thought I'd try frying -- not deep-frying -- a veggie burger in olive oil as a change from my usual microwaving, and . . . Oh. My. God. What a revelation. So delicious, with a light moist crunchiness all over. And, because it's done with olive oil, not bad for you at all!

I don't know why I didn't try this before. I've always microwaved my veggie burgers, always thought, eh, why dirty a frying pan? As a result, I had come to accept veggie burgers being no more than acceptable.

I was telling fellow veggie consumer Diablo about all this in an IM the other night. He was shocked that I hadn't tried this method before, as he has always fried his veggie burgers in olive oil. "I thought everybody knew!" he said.

Well, I feel pretty dumb. So if you're not in the habit of frying your veggie burgers in olive oil, you don't know what you're missing.

I also now think that waiter at the restaurant who told me the burgers were "deep-fried" probably just meant fried.

For more veggie-cuisine commentary -- it's a blog theme this week! -- check out Diablo's epiphany about a particular fake-meat delight that I've long known about. Now we're even.

4 Comments:

Blogger diablo said...

i'm not sure that i agree that we are even. really, is suffering through a rubbery gelatinous substandard veggie burger because you don't want to soil your pan (hehe, soil your pan) equivalent to no knowing about a yummy treat and then discovering it by chance through my miserly shopping habits?

7:13 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

There was nothing substandard about the veggie burgers I've eaten -- I buy only the best kind -- just the way I was preparing them.

7:57 AM  
Blogger vuboq said...

I bet they are even better if you wrap them in bacon first!

Mmm. bacon.

I guess that would defeat the purpose though, huh?

11:44 AM  
Blogger dykewife said...

on the theme of veggie burgers (amazing how serendipity works, isn't it?) pop over to a comic i read. the artist/writer of the comic is also a vegitarian.

9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home