Tuesday, August 15, 2006

Tea Time

A couple of weeks ago, I got a bee in my bonnet about buying a cup and saucer for my tea. I have some beautiful handmade ceramic mugs from Hinckley Pottery, but I've gotten into a rut, and it's a fact that tea tastes different in a cup and saucer.

I have some nice cups and saucers, but they're antiques -- from a short-lived attempt at starting a collection -- and I'm wary of the lead used in glazes in the old days. So I had to find time in my schedule to go out and buy a nice, thin-lipped modern cup and saucer. I pictured it in white. On Sunday, I finally made it to Crate and Barrel, and there I bought a pair of cups and saucers in the Scoop design.

What I especially like is that the cup holds eleven ounces -- more than the standard eight to ten and comparable to the amount that most of my handmade mugs hold, but not as much as the exaggeratedly large cafe au lait "bowls," which have their place in the world, but not for tea.

Another cool design touch is that the Scoop cup rests around a raised circle in the saucer rather than within the traditional indentation.

Sunday evening, I enjoyed a cup of peppermint tea from Trader Joe's (the peppermintiest tea I've found in stores) -- with lemon, because I like my mint tea to taste like a Ricola throat drop.

3 Comments:

Blogger diablo said...

how dainty (or perhaps delicate is a better word). i like c&b's cups and saucers, maybe i'll get some too!

7:42 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Honest Tea makes great peppermint tea (they're iced in a glass or plastic container ... not a delicate tea cup) ... stop by Naan and Beyond on your way home to walk the dogs and pick one up.

When I am feeding my "Naan" addiction I get the First Nation Peppermint or the Moroccan Mint Green which is green tea with peppermint, spearmint, and a touch of white clover honey.

yum yum

9:02 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Be careful. A couple years ago, I bought a fancy cup and saucer for my desk -- at a discount close-out store -- and before I knew it, I had an entire set of that china pattern purchased from eBay and other secondary sources. ... This past weekend I bought some Harney & Sons "Hot Cinnamon Sunset" -- in silk sachets instead of paper tea bags. I haven't tried it yet, but if it tastes as good as it smells, I'm in for a treat.

10:25 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home