Wednesday, September 20, 2006

"Happy Birthday, Mr. President . . ."


Tomorrow -- that would be about 30 minutes from now -- is my birthday. I was going to take the day off, a tradition I started two years ago (actually, last year I took the whole week off), but I'm so far behind at work that it is not to be. If I can, I'll take an extra long lunch and sit outside at one of my favorite restaurants.

At some point in the afternoon, there will no doubt be cake or cookies. My boss will ask, as he does at every birthday observance: "So who was president when you were born?"

There are a couple of people in the office for whom the answer is Roosevelt. Someone in the room inevitably says, "Which one?"

2 Comments:

Blogger dykewife said...

so long as they don't begin a toast to teddy you're doing well. so, you were born during jfk's brief tenure. i was born the year he was elected. my mom and dad's 13th wedding anniversary was the day of his assassination.

12:31 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

No one ever asks who was president on my birthday, such an odd office environment? Why don't they just go ahead and ask what they really want to know, how old you are--respond in dog years. Enjoy your day.

Leonard

3:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home