Sunday, October 29, 2006

"Sublime, Have You Met Ridiculous?"

Playwright Suzan-Lori Parks in the October 30 New Yorker:

"The writer has two kinds of faith: actual writing and sitting openly. Have faith in your personal effort or sweat. And faith in God, or whatever you want to call it. Then the voices will come. Faith is the big deal."

Fashion designer/celebritron
Donatella Versace in the September Details:

Details: ". . . To achieve what you've achieved, and to sustain it, takes a lot of endurance. Do you work out?"
DV: "I do work out. And I am still smoking."
Details: "Have you ever tried to quit?"
DV: "No, I don't want to."
Details: "What are all those stickers all over your cigarette pack?"
DV: "I can't stand to read that smoke kills you. So I always have someone cover that part of the box."

How do you suppose you get a job being the person who puts stickers on Donatella Versace's cigarette packs? And do you think they're, like,
Hello Kitty stickers?

***

I apologize to my faithful readers for blogging so infrequently of late. Everything is fine. However, I did back out of
my condo contract several days ago because of an issue I couldn't reach a comfort level on. I'm disappointed but not at all devastated. I have faith I will find a home I like even better than that one. In fact, today I saw a place on Capitol Hill that I can't stop thinking about. I'm worried that it might be a rebound condo, though. Can you ever trust your feelings about the first relationship after a breakup?

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

In Harpo Marx's wonderful autobiography, called, of course, Harpo Speaks, he lists some jobs along the lines of the Donatella-denial sticker-applier (does the lackey take her chest x-rays for her, too?) that he thinks would be fun. One I remember was king-nudger. There was a king who was so completely tone-deaf that he could not recognize his own country's national anthem, which, of course, was always being played for him. So he employed a nudger whose only job was to let him know when he had to stand up for the anthem. Harpo imagined that this would be a pretty cushy job, following the king to all kinds of events and celebrations. No heavy lifting and the food had to be great.

Good luck on finding your new home. When it's right, you'll know.

3:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home