Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Homecoming Queen's Got a Gun

These wintry evenings find me over at my vacant home-to-be (when I'm not teaching or reading students' work) wielding putty knife, razor blade, sanding block, and caulk gun.

I can't believe I just used "me" and "caulk gun" in the same sentence.

I don't really know what the hell I'm doing, and the tedium of this stage of the process -- prepping for painting, which I hope to start this weekend -- sometimes beggars description. But images of my rooms -- their colors and arrangements -- are taking root in my mind.

Can you imagine a bedroom painted Light Daffodil? I can! It's not what the name might lead you to believe but rather a pale, pale yellow with a hint of green.


I went to my cute gay doctor yesterday. We've both just bought condos, it turns out. This is where his is. You would never say "Billy's condo" and "loft-like" in the same sentence. He asked me about mine, "Is it big?"

What kind of a question is that -- "Is it big?" (Don't answer that.)

I really like him; he's the most friendly, thorough, and attentive doctor I've ever had, but . . . is it big?
Different worlds. He wears crisp suits, bright ties, and cool glasses. I wear wool-and-dog-hair sweaters and wrinkled pants.
Okay, I have cool glasses.

6 Comments:

Blogger diablo said...

oooh light daffodil. love it! i didn't imagine a color but your description doesn't surprise me.

are you wearing a toolbelt that pulls your pants down to reveal your ass crack while spackling?

i think you should slap your doctor. or ignore him. it seems as if after a certain income break, people forget (or have never known) how the other 95% live. you should have told him you will be neighbors.

6:55 AM  
Blogger vuboq said...

light daffodil does sound lovely.

so ... is it big?

8:33 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heart Julie Brown--one of those lost 80's gems.

Lenny

10:02 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

Vuboq: To paraphrase Teri Hatcher on a classic episode of Seinfeld -- it's enormous . . . and spectacular.

11:36 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

:)

5:49 PM  
Blogger Francis S. said...

You definitely have cool glasses, Billy, you always have. And big schmig - that apartment building of his looks pretty soulless to me.

6:34 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home