Thursday, June 28, 2007

Cruise Control

Since so many hundreds of you were dying to know what Tony Blair and I had in common (besides our penchant for hanging out with queens), I will tell you: We both got new jobs yesterday.

Mine is with the same place I've been working for years but involves at least 50 percent new responsibilities, a new (better) title, a new (better) salary, and, I have reason to believe, a new level of respect from certain quarters. It's the first time in my life I've been almost completely in the driver's seat on a job change.
I proposed the switch in an effort to solve two ongoing problems (one in the company and, privately, one in my relationship to it), I drew the boundaries of what I would and wouldn't do, and I decided -- and got -- what I considered to be appropriate compensation.

After work tonight, as my car was stopped at a light, a handsome man waiting to cross the street looked my way, met my gaze, and wiggled his eyebrows. This almost never happens to me. I've been cruised exactly once in my life that I'm aware of. (Key and sadly all-too-telling phrase: that I'm aware of.) He then turned back to talk to his friend. Rather uncharacteristically, I decided I would be ready when he looked at me again, as I knew he would. I would not look away. I would not play it cool. The light turned, he looked at me, and I was waiting with a smile. He sent a lingering one back as he crossed the street. I turned the corner and drove on.

3 Comments:

Blogger vuboq said...

Now you must rush to Craigslist to see if he sent a missed connection!!!!

And congratulations on the job promotion! *woot*

11:40 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

a celebration is in order! tell me everything :)

4:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

details please!!!!

11:20 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home