Saturday, June 02, 2007

Fun Homes

Just a couple of glimpses from my New York trip for now, so I can go to bed saying I posted something.

I did buy a lamp at Filaments after all. They put the most expensive ones on their Web site, but in fact, many of the specimens in the cramped little store are quite affordable. They're not all vintage -- mine is actually new but "midcentury style." Very simple, clean lines. Not sure these picture do it justice, but it's just what I wanted in this particular space, for this particular purpose.


At the convention, I got an autographed copy of the graphic memoir Fun Home: A Family Tragicomic by Alison Bechdel (until this book, known mainly for the comic strip "Dykes to Watch Out For"). I've already finished it. It's one of the best, most insightful and inventive memoirs I've ever read -- graphic or otherwise. And I'm not the only one to say so -- it was a finalist for a National Book Critics Circle Award.

5 Comments:

Blogger diablo said...

BTW, i thought you hated graphic novels! or was it just the one that you couldn't get into?

very nice lamp. i'm thinking of going to nyc in a couple of weekends now that i have fridays off for summer hours. maybe i'll stop in filaments and see if i can bring home some illumination.

8:58 AM  
Blogger Billy said...

It was just that one. I don't hate them at all! Quite the contrary.

10:27 AM  
Blogger dykewife said...

a new beschdel? i must get it! :) thanks for the heads up about it.

9:08 PM  
Blogger vuboq said...

i do like the lamp and i'm glad they're all not as expensive as the ones on the website (I nearly choked when I saw the prices).

11:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That's a very nice lamp! I covet it.

1:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home