Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Charmless Billy

Barely a week into the new job and I already lost my temper with a coworker over the phone today. I felt he was being patronizing and unhelpful over an issue we were both responsible for -- and he was a little, but not intentionally. I was out of line, and the fact that I was under stress was no excuse. I apologized by e-mail later, but I still feel terrible. I guess I'll talk to him next time he's in.

I'm not known for losing my cool on the job, and I hate it when it happens. Moments after the confrontation occurred, I started imagining that the entire office had heard it. A strange silence descended upon the place for the rest of the afternoon, it seemed. Colleagues rolling their eyes perhaps, thinking, Shit, what have we gotten ourselves into?


I prefer to be known as the coworker who spent his Oscar-pool winnings on cookies for the office. Now, that was a good move.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nell Minow said...

I'm sure your gracious apology has more than made up for any hurt feelings and that the person on the other end is spending as least as much time regreting his poor behavior as you are yours. It's never a good thing to lose your temper, but it's not a bad thing to let people know that you have standards, expectations, and limits.

The cookies are a wonderful idea and I am impressed with your Oscar astuteness. Have a wonderful 4th of July.

11:08 AM  
Blogger diablo said...

don't let the power go to your head! :)

once you settle into the position you'll have plenty of time to demonstrate your calm, cool and collected approach to leadership. it's all in the practice.

9:55 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home