Wednesday, November 07, 2007

Dancing Is to Book Groups as _____ Is to _____

Well, I'm back two-stepping. Maybe you wondered. Or maybe you didn't know I'd been away.

Two thousand six was all about the two-stepping. Two thousand seven, not so much. That was all about the home. When I'd go back, sporadically, my head was elsewhere. Or everyone else's head was elsewhere. Not turned toward me.

I made a decision to start going back regularly a couple of weeks ago. I've been wanting more connection in my life. And that's what I'm starting to find.

***

After an adult lifetime of resisting book groups (I just didn't see the point -- why would I want to sit around talking about a book? I wasn't in graduate school anymore), I'm not only now in one, but I started it.

Despite the fact that I give people the impression of being a voracious reader (I ran into a former student on the bus recently, and he said that very thing), I'm anything but -- I'm slow, I'm easily distracted. I wasn't getting enough reading done.

I also wasn't seeing enough of my friends. So I hand-picked the members (a half-dozen gay men
d'un certain âge), we had an initial get-to-know you potluck two months ago (since I knew everyone, but not everyone else knew everyone), and our first official bimonthly meeting is this Sunday. Unfortunately, the book, which I haven't finished yet, is leaving a lot to be desired (and I'm not the only one who thinks so, apparently). But that's all I'll say about it for now.

1 Comments:

Blogger Nell Minow said...

Here's to connections of all kinds. And I think a disappointing book may not be a great read but it is a great way to begin a book group.

11:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home