Saturday, March 17, 2007

Mundane Stuff: My Resurrection

The dogs came to the new place today, a day earlier than I'd been expecting. When I found out, that forced me to get the place in more livable shape than it had been for almost two weeks. At least the pieces of furniture they care about most -- bed, sofa, armchair -- are set up and made, slipcovered, or draped with the textures and smells they're used to. They were very curious, of course, when I brought them in. Were they confused? Who knows? Perhaps they think we've gone on vacation or something! By their third walk of the day with me, they already seemed to know what doorway to stop at.

I found a cool galvanized metal shelf for my kitchen at Ikea today. There's still so much work to be done on the kitchen. I'm going to paint the cabinets a cheerful color, and the walls a subtler one; I have done neither yet. I'm also going to buy some wall rails and shelves for pots and utensils, but for now I just got this shelf to help supplement the limited counter space. I like combining industrial and homey, new and old. The DSL filter dangling from the phone jack would be an example of the "new."

1 Comments:

Blogger Billy said...

Your colors sound nice -- cream against orange. Like a Creamsicle. I'm thinking Golden Delicious (which is actually a little closer to what I think of as Granny Smith) for the cabinets and a very pale pinkish color for the walls, perhaps Early Sunset to pick up the brick-like reddish tone of the quarry-tile floor. (These are Benjamin Moore colors.)

I love the Barefoot Contessa. I was just watching her Food Channel show yesterday at the gym. Her sour cream coffee cake and vegetable pot pie in that cookbook are favorites of mine.

11:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home