Friday, February 23, 2007

Life Is Short

This StoryCorps segment on NPR this morning -- a 14-year-old girl interviewing her lesbian mother -- made the tears run down through the shaving cream on my cheeks. It's a familiar story, but that doesn't make it any less moving. If you have a couple of minutes, give it a listen.

Flipping through the new PostSecret book, The Secret Lives of Men and Women -- like all of the postcards on Frank Warren's blog and in his previous books, alternately sad, thought-provoking, deeply disturbing, and occasionally hilarious -- I especially noted these (which I think qualify for the sad, if not downright depressing, category):

"I'm 46, I'm gay and I still have not told my family. As a boy we used to be so close. Now I feel so distant and lonely."

"I knew I was gay on our wedding day but wanted children and feared AIDS."

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Wow, thanks for sharing that. I've always found StoryCorps really interesting, and this segment was especially touching.

1:39 PM  
Blogger vuboq said...

I had to turn StoryCorps off this morning as soon as I heard it starting. I wasn't in the mood to begin the day being all depressed.

2:50 PM  
Blogger Billy said...

I didn't find that one depressing at all! It could be, depending on your experience and perspective, I suppose, but it ends in a really powerful love-affirming way.

3:03 PM  
Blogger Nell Minow said...

There is something about the courage to love completely that always slays me. Yesterday, I watched Rosie O'Donnell's documentary about the gay family cruise and cried at least three times.

And I think StoryCorps is one of the greatest ideas ever. I loved Paul Auster's collection of people's stories, I Thought My Father Was God. As the Talmud says (as quoted by Elie Weisel), "God created man because He loves stories."

11:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home